Friday, November 23, 2007

ARRANGED MARRIAGE!
Being born and brought up in India, one doesn't find the idea of 'Arranged Marriage' so different. But for many people out of the Indian sub-continent, arranged marriage is something very interesting and sometimes funny! How could you marry someone whom you do not know? is a common question I have encountered while talking to people. Recently, my supervisor brought to our attention (in lieu of my labmate's wedding) an article in MSN. Anjali Mansukhani married a guy working in the US, arranged by the parents. She discusses the pros of arranged marriage in the article and finally punches in the essence of Indian culture:
Had I found my own mate, I'm sure my parents would have come around, but I'd have to live knowing that they wouldn't be truly emotionally invested in the success of the marriage.
Every individual aspires for social integration or social recognition. Indian tradition and culture, I believe, is designed to facilitate achieving it, paving way for a happier life! Not to undervalue the western system, Anjali highlights the pros of the American culture too. A good combination of the Indian and western culture for a happier life!
(Indian-born love-married couples: No offense intended...and perhaps this might not be the true in all cases!)

No comments: